Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Dave's Dalliance of Words


Dave Egger's, an alleged genius and definite heartthrob among hearty readers, started his career as a journalist. At bottom is the first piece of his writing I've ever read. I desperately miss traveling, and his excellence through a NINE PAGE article didn't help any. Yet...

I hereby swear by the unstamped pages of my passport that I won't have this settler's heartache anymore.


I miss traveling, being out of my element, even feeling dumb and disconnected because I can't read the signs and newspapers around me. Impermanent illiteracy forces you to take notice of what's around you, and engage with your world in a new way. Similar everyday experiences are what makes me miss travel, more than strange foods or historical buildings.



http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,992944-5,00.html

No comments: