Tuesday, December 11, 2007

So Praha Went Quickly...

Ok..It's finals week. Of first semester junior year.
So I wrote one blog while I was in Praha, BUT I kept a pretty intricate travel journal up through most of spring break. Ask to borrow it sometime, you may have a starring role in my thoughts regardless of what country you were in throughout the spring of 2007. If you're reading this, it's not only possible but likely.

The idea of summarizing huge blocks of time (like a semester) in 1 or 2 paragraphs usually irks the hell out of me--but I want to write something short enough you'll want to read about it. Yet I'm in loourve with details and small incidences and it feels demeaning. I'm an NYU student--one of thousands, so larger picture details like playing soccer or being an econ major/physics minor aren't interesting or unique. But Oh! The Places I'll Go! Miniadventures are...lost my train of thought because the Spice Girls came on the Victoria's Secret fashion show.
Ah yes. I hate the idea of summarizing an entire semester in a few short paragraphs, but I actually think this time around I can fit it into one. It wasn't that nothing happened, it's that a few things and people were major players on repeat.

I went back to school early, still August. The ever-dreaded soccer preseason. No longer banished from the roster, I kind of felt that little kid giddiness everytime a ball was in front of me ('RUN! KICK! Goooo THERE!') This is my team winning the Skidmore Invitational:


It was still August when I ran into..an attractive someone I used to barely know. We needed name refreshers when we ran into each other, but we caught up pretty quickly (somewhere, Brian is mumbling in his sleep "Yeah ya did!")

Classes have been tedious. Essentially, I've spent this semester trying to learn how to take tests instead of spending time learning what I want to be. "Professor!" I shriek in my head, "If we just had a 20 minute conversation about the material, I clearly understand international economics. The thing is, if you don't tell me to draw a graph for full credit, I don't think it's fair that I only get two points out of 10." Academia certainly isn't what it used to be (I assume). Turns out I'm pretty spectacular at law related coursework, which is encouraging. Who thinks I should be a lawyer?

And that's it. I wasn't bored this semester--far from it. My activity time was spent playing soccer, going to class, and generally being a college student.



My thinking time was monopolized by heartsickness. God, how long can you stay heartsick? Do you think any old people that are heartbroken started as 20 year olds that were heartsick and the diagnosis just changed? Like, 'Wow, this chart still says sick? It's been 40 years...I can't fix this, this shit is broken. UPDATE: Heartbroken.'
Oh, also, I stopped speaking with my mom. This is a good thing. Life has been...approachable.

Studying time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of National Clicks?

Can someone help me find it?

Overheard some co-workers talking about it all week but didn't have time to ask so I thought I would post it here to see if someone could help me out.

Seems to be getting alot of buzz right now.

Thanks